This episode was made especially for anybody who might feel a sense of regret or anxiety about their medical transition. This does not mean they should necessarily detransition. Rather, it means that they are undergoing a reckoning with themselves. While some people choose to detransition, others are deeply ambivalent about transition but may feel they are “at a point of no return” and choose to remain in a trans identity. Others may find the detransition process too difficult and disappointing and decide to retransition. Sasha and Stella explore the blurry lines between terms like “transition” “detransition” and “transition regret” and hope to help listeners feel hopeful and find healing beyond these narrow concepts.
- What I wish I’d known when I was 19 and had sex reassignment surgery, Corinna Cohn:
- Hormone Hangover: The Opposite of GD
- Wherever You Go, There You Are, Jon Kabat-Zinn
- Make the best decision for yourself at the time.
- Sasha changes her mind about the argument made by Alice Dreger.
- Stella shares her experience of working in addiction and her patients’ lost years.
- Some experiences make a person feel like an outsider in their peer group.
- The importance of speaking with someone who relates to you.
- The Beyond Transition project encompasses all the different layers of transition.
- Transitioning or detransitioning is nobody's business but the individuals.
- Therapy and practices for the body help people get in tune with their physiology.
- For those feeling overwhelmed, consider what you can do today, not tomorrow, just today.
- Learning to be patient and dealing with setbacks requires mental flexibility.
- Sharing a transition experience can assist others with their journeys.
- The reasons behind self-destructive behaviors.
- Navigating the multiple pathways to healing.
- Tools to understand influence and mitigate self-blame.
- Stella shares the beautiful story of a woman who detransitioned.
- Getting back to nature and the calming effects of pets.
- Only you know what you need. Do what you have to do.
For more about our show: https://linktr.ee/WiderLensPod