With the invention of the term “nonbinary,” we’ve seen an unprecedented number of young people claiming to feel like neither a man nor a woman. Today, we explore Ian Hacking’s concept of “making people up” and the creation of new classifications and “types” of people. Several questions also arise: does a non-binary identification require medicalization? What personality traits may correlate with this identity and is it different in males and females? For parents, how might one respond when a timid child quietly says “No” to the “gender binary?” And what role does non-binary label play as individuals step in and step out of trans identification?
Gender Census: Gendercensus.com/results/2021-worldwide/#pronouns
Kori and Searyl Doty: Theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2020/jul/08/parent-raising-gender-free-child
Jamie Shupe: Twitter.com/notabledesister
Lisa Shupe interviewed on Transparency Podcast: Youtube.com/watch?v=edzyk-TQhEY
Sam Smith and Alok: Mirror.co.uk/3am/celebrity-news/sam-smith-alok-vaid-menon-20126943
Alice Hope’s YouTube video: Youtube.com/watch?v=9WJBp3eEhqY
- Parents feel so old when the term “nonbinary” gets thrown around. What does it mean?
- Sasha gives a bit of context and the definition of the word.
- Nonbinary people have an element of protest. They’re completely opting out of the “normal.”
- The term “nonbinary” really started picking up speed in 2014 and having it skyrocket in 2019.
- Are nonbinary identities just a stepping stone into trans identity?
- A lot of nonbinary females think they should have top surgery, which helps them with their image that they’re in this “neither/or” gender space.
- Can you inflict your ideologies on a little child? Stella feels like the answer should be no.
- There is controversy on listing two mothers or two fathers on the birth certificate. It’s a bit like stretching the truth/reality.
- The average 14-year-old female calls herself nonbinary. What’s going on here?
- Are our sexual differences causing distress among teenagers? Do they wish for a simpler time where none of this gender stuff matters?
- It’s a bit of a confusing thing, you shouldn’t go by looks but a lot of these gender identities use looks as a baseline.
- Can you be nonbinary while also looking very female or very male?
- How do you know if something is a singular and not a plural when you’re using the “they” pronoun.
- How do parents manage other children who are calling themselves they/them?
- Sasha wonders if saying you’re nonbinary is due to some uneasiness that’s happening in their lives, some form of trauma or unhappiness happening.
- Don’t hang back and feel like everything is fine. Lean into your child’s nonbinary discovery and ask questions.
- You can partner with your nonbinary child and still make things feel safe and exploratory.
- It’s really hard for adults and parents to call a singular person “they.”
- Who was the first legally recognized nonbinary person?
This podcast is partially sponsored by ReIME, Rethink Identity Medicine Ethics:
Learn more about our show: Linktr.ee/WiderLensPod